Monday, June 13, 2011

Dutch Oven cooking

I love to cook in my dutch ovens!!!  My beautiful mother in law has given me two as gifts the last few years, they are Red enameled cast iron and are so much fun to cook in.  Everything tastes better out of a red pot!   

My good friend Kyle bought me the one I use camping, I think it has been 10 years since I first started using it.  I only make a few recipes in my camping dutch oven and have been hunting for something new to try.  I used it over Easter weekend to make RoundyRounds monkey bread.  Here's her recipe: http://roundyrounds.blogspot.com/2010/10/dutch-oven-recipes.html  it is to die for!!!   

So this coming weekend the hubby and I will be loading up the dog and heading out camping with two good friends.  I am thinking of making this....

Mexican Chicken



2 cups corn tortilla chips (slightly broken)


2-1/2 cups cooked chicken, diced


1 cup sour cream


1 (10-3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted


1 (4 oz.) can green chilies, diced and peeled


1 onion, chopped


1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, grated


2 (6 oz.) packages yellow cornbread mix


1 cup cheddar cheese, grated


Make cornbread with milk, following instructions on package. Add cheddar cheese to mix.


Combine sour cream, soup, chilies, onions and chicken in a separate bowl.


Cover bottom of 12" Dutch oven with broken tortilla chips. Sprinkle Monterey Jack Cheese over the chips. Spread chicken and sour cream mixture over chips. Carefully spread cornbread batter over chicken and sour cream mixture. Bake at 400 degrees (19 coals on top and 10 on bottom) for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.


I will let you know how it turns out. 

6-23-11

It turned out sooooo GOOD!!!!!  We used skotidakis jalapeno yogurt dip instead of the sour cream and I seasoned the chicken with cumin, chili powder and garlic when I cooked it.  I also doubled the cheese, cause I LOVE cheese.  This was the perfect dinner for a cold night camping.  I will be making it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment