Friday, June 24, 2011

4th of July paper star wreath



So here's how I did it. 

First I traced a large bowl onto a piece of cardboard and cut it out.  Then I traced a smaller bowl inside the center of the circle and cut it out.  Ta-Da! Very cheap wreath form.  You all know you have some cardboard laying around the house somewhere. 

I am not very good with a razor blade but no one is ever going to see this part anyways. 



Then it was time to start cutting out the stars.  I have this wonderful machine called a Cricut that I could have used to cut them out but I decided I would just cut them out by hand. 

I cut a star template out of card stock


Then I cut the stars out of scrapbook papers.  You could use wrapping paper but I thought they would have more shape with a thicker paper.  I chose three patterns and two solid colors. 

I do not own a scoring tool so I just folded my stars at in the center of each point, matching the sides.  Just fold in half all the way around.  Wait does that make any sense?   You just want the points to have mountain folds and the insides to have valley folds.  Like this:

 

I used 13 for the wreath.  Then I cut some flat stars out of gold and white paper with the same template I used for the 3-D stars.  I glued all the flat stars to the cardboard wreath form using Aeene's tacky glue. (btw- I love this tacky glue! I use it for everything)  Next I used hot glue to glue the 3-D stars on top of the flat stars.  One dab on the back in every valley fold, then just lightly pressed onto the white stars.      

Continue gluing until you have covered the whole wreath.  I decided I wanted something "more" on my wreath and made 3 extra 3-D stars and glued them to pipe cleaners and attached to the back of the wreath. 

TA-DA!!!!!

Finished!










No comments:

Post a Comment