Friday, July 22, 2011

The affordable (cheap) Walmart beach bag

I bought a cute affordable beach bag at Walmart this week.  It cost under $5 so I just had to have it.  I don't own a beach bag and it is summertime.  You never know when you'll have a pool party to go to or a spontaneous trip to the beach.  I went and bought this beach bag after seeing it on the Walmart website. I read the reviews and knew the handles were a weak point.  Here is what the bag looked like when I bought it........




The handles are thin plastic strips that are slid through a clear plastic tube and then woven into the body of the bag.  It does not go very far down the side and is not glued or knotted, they definitely look like they will unravel. 




So I bought some bright green ribbon at Micheal's (by now you probably realize that I spend allot of time at Micheal's)  I love the way that the black and white stripes look but really wanted a color to make the bag 'pop".  My favorite color is green and they had the prefect grassy green 3/8" ribbon.  

I started by taking apart one side of the handle, then stapled the ribbon to the plastic strips that were going through the clear tube. Then pulled the ribbon all the way through the tube.  Next I wove the ribbon down the side of the bag and up the other side using a paper clip that I tied the ribbon to (it made it much easier then trying to use my fingers).  When I got to the handle on the other side I took apart the plastic that was holding the handle on, just like I did to start.  Repeating the stapling of the ribbon to the plastic strips and pulling it though the clear tube.  I wanted to use only one piece of ribbon so there is only one place that the ribbon will be knotted.     
 


Here is the weaving with the paper clip



A close up of the ribbon and the clear plastic tube handle thingy




All finished?



No way! I made a removable flower for it too. 



Total project cost = $5 for the bag + $3.50 for the ribbon and flower = $8.50

Here's the link to the bag on Walmart's website

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Womens-Striped-Woven-Beach-Tote/15935884




No comments:

Post a Comment