Friday, July 8, 2011

Stamping on fabric- A last minute baby shower gift

So I had been planning on making these custom onesies for a baby shower the last few months and then SURPRISE!!! it's this weekend.  So I went out and bought some plain white onesies and a few stamp pads.  I saw allot of blogs recommending the VersaCraft pad but I needed to find something local and ended up with the ColorBox CRAFTER'S inks.  I was going for a motocross/ dirt bike theme and had bought the perfect rubber stamp.  I also bought a diecast dirt bike to use the wheels as a stamp (I am putting the dirt bike into the gift basket). 

I started by practicing on an old t-shirt to see how much ink and pressure I needed to get the results I wanted.  You don't want to press your stamp into the ink, instead tap your stamp lightly and repeatedly onto the ink pad.  I had no trouble while working on the onesies, just pressed the stamp firmly down and held for a few seconds.  It was so much easier than i thought. 

I also tried to stamp using fabric paint and had no luck.  I could not get crisp edges with the paint.  I am sure there is a trick but I haven't tried very much yet. 

YOU MUST HEAT SET fabric ink to make it permanent.  When the ink is completely dry, use a hot dry iron and iron each stamped area for 2 minute's.  I used a piece of parchment paper on top of the onesies between the iron and the fabric.  It is also important to wait a week or two before washing. 

Here they are.....



 

No comments:

Post a Comment